Consultations for Parents of Children and Teens with ADD/ADHD
I offer one hour telephone consultations for parents of kids and teens with ADD/ADHD. Some areas we can talk about are:
- The neurobiology of ADD, its real life effects on your child, and co-existing conditions to look out for. Your children are no doubt doing their best and understanding what is going on in their brains can help you truly believe that.
- Strategies, systems and structures to try at home to lower your stress and help your child succeed. Whether the most challenging issues are homework, getting to school on time, social skills, a bedroom that is a health hazard, or something else, we can problem solve together and come up with new ideas.
- How to figure out which resources, professionals, school accommodations, or other kinds of support would be the most appropriate for you and your child.
- Ways to develop a more supportive and positive relationship with your child.
- Planning for after high school: a transition year, a community college, four year college, trade school, or no college? There are so many good options. What makes the most sense for this time in your child's life?
- Safe alternative and complementary approaches for ADD/ADHD if you are looking for something instead of or in addition to medication.
- ADD friendly ways to organize your home and your childís room and belongings.
- How to pay attention to your own physical and emotional needs so you are responding to your child out of wisdom and clarity instead of out of a stress reaction, a painful emotion, an automatic reaction, hunger, or exhaustion!
- Age appropriate mindfulness exercises you can practice with your child or teen to help you all be more calm, focused, and relaxed.
Those are just suggestions. Regardless of your situation or what you would like to discuss, you can count on me for information, ideas, and non-judgmental support. Iíve been through the ringer with each of my own children - ADHD, learning disabilities, anxiety Ö you name it. At this point they are in their twenties and I am happy to say that all three of them are doing well. (Whew!)
I have learned that patience and hope go a long way. And so does staying open to all the different routes, resources, and approaches your child can use to reach his or her destination. Who said everyone has to do it the same way? There are all kinds of minds and every child is unique in how they learn and thrive. I can help you stay open to new possibilities, remember what is truly important, hold the belief that your child is and will be okay, and keep a wide and positive perspective.
Appointments for telephone consultations are arranged via email only. I do ask for payment at least 24 hours ahead of our appointment time. Please see Fees and Payments Page for more information. I look forward to talking with you!